Dot matrix printers have something about them that refuses to fade away with time. While many people shall argue that dot matrix printers are passé and that most business enterprises today have done away with them and in place brought the brand new ones, the point is that dot matrix printers have a lot more to offer than just the nostalgia of the yesteryears. These printers are as we shall see later still the obvious choice for many business houses that gun for cost efficiency in terms of deployment and the costs that are involved in refilling the printer cartridge. As such there are efficiencies of both economy and technology that can be derived from the usage of dot matrix printers and their corresponding printer cartridges. Let us take a close look at the merits that they offer.
- The dot matrix printer prints out dots on the paper to form an image or text or any kind of font or graphics. An electromagnet or a solenoid makes the head of the pins to drive back and forth. Even though the pin is moving fast enough but still the overall speed of the printing is really slow. Along with that the number of pins in the head is also restricted. Due to this reason, the quality output which dot matrix printer offer is always low in comparison with the other types of printers like laser printer or ink jet printers. But keeping this fact aside, dot matrix printers still have many advantages and that is the reason why it is still widely used.
- Dot matrix printers are really less expensive. As they are so cheap it is easy to buy and use. The affordability factor of a printer can hardly be ruled out especially if the purchase is being made for business and professional usage.
- The maintenance cost of dot matrix printer is also low. This is yet another reason that adds to the economic efficiency of the dot matrix printer.
- The cost of printing of dot matrix printer is also low. The price of ink ribbon of dot matrix printer is also less and the lasting time is also high. This adds a third layer of economic efficiency and reduces the total cost of printing per annum.
- Dot matrix printers last for a long period of time and it don’t need replacement soon as they are very robust. The durability of a dot matrix printer rules out the necessity to change a printer very soon and hence reduces revenue expenditure.
As such if you are just about to make a purchase of a dot matrix printer then do not forget the merits that we have mentioned above.